Thursday, October 4, 2012

Vegan MoFo - Preserving summer! What to do with all those tomatoes




Happy Vegan Mofo everyone!
I absolutely LOVE summer and hate seeing it disappear, but I do love fall and the canning season. Every year I have been canning more and more stuff every year.
I have canned 4 different kind of salsa's this year.
One thing I have to confess is that I think people who boil then peel their tomatoes, (some recipes even call for seeding your tomatoes- who the hell has time for that!?) are flipping crazy- I could never muster the patience to do that! I also bough a big bag of pre-peeled garlic cloves to make easier work of the canning process.

If you've never canned before here is a very basic tutorial for how to safely can: http://www.wikihow.com/Can-Food

Have your jar's clean and sterilized before you begin, I like to run them on their own through the dishwasher for a cycle and then their waiting in the dishwasher when I'm ready to start filling the jars.

This is by far the simplest and tastiest salsa I've ever made!

This should make around 8 x 500ml jars.

Very fresh, summery medium heat salsa

Ingredients:
2 cups diced yellow onions
3 cups diced bell peppers
3 finely diced jalapeno peppers- (more or less depending on how spicy you like your salsa)

 2 cups white vinegar
1 TBSP cane sugar
2 TSP sea salt
16 cups  diced roma tomatoes
1 cup chopped cilantro

Directions:

1. Dry saute first three ingredients till just tender, add a little water if it starts to stick.
2. Add vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pot, then add the rest of the ingredients - except the cilantro, lightly simmer for about 5 mins, then add the cilantro.
3.Your ready to fill the jars, once their all filled - don't forget to wipe the rims!
4.Follow the directions on the link above for a simple water bath canning if you've never canned before.




No comments: