Another addition to my must have lists, and this one will be short, as I'm trying to get a post in before midnight and I miss the last day of Vegan MoFo. Vegan Mofo has been a blast! I look forward to it again next year, I loved checking out all the great blogs that participated this year!
This is my "must-have" list for produce to keep on hand!
1. Cilantro - I go through at least one bunch, sometimes two a week. I use it in Indian food, Thai, and other Asian dishes.
2. Celery- Now, is any fridge really complete without it? Essential for making soups, awesome in stir-fries, great swirled into hummus, and good for curing lat night munchies, without hurting your waistline!
3. Carrots - For all the same reasons as above, and they help you see in the dark :)
4. Lettuce- For salads and sandwich's and to give people a reason to make fun of Vegans for eating rabbit food (this rule also works for the celery and carrots)
5. Collards, or other leafy green- Because they are super- duper healthy, and yummy!
6.Cucumbers - Pretty self- explanatory, I just love cucumbers.
7. Assorted bell peppers- for stir fry's, soups, and anything my little heart desires. One of my favorite ingredients to cook with.
8. Red onions- Mostly for salads and sammies, and when I want a sweeter, less pungent onion flavour in dishes.
9. Yellow or white cooking onions- I use it in almost every dish I cook!
10. Green onions- for sprinkling on top of of Thai food, sushi, etc.
11. Garlic- I use lots of this in many forms, raw, sauteed, my favorite is roasted.
12. Jalapeno peppers or "finger" chilis- I add these into any dish I want to give a kick, I love spicy food so that is many different things.
13. Sweet potatoes- For fries mostly, but also love turning them into a creamy, dreamy soup.
14. Good old fashioned potatoes- be it red, yellow, white or russet, almost everyone loves potatoes, whether it is deep-fried, oven fried, mashed or boiled, potatoes are yummy and I bet everyone has some in store.
15. Mushrooms- although the boyfriend is not the biggest fan of mushrooms, I love to have them on hand, as I can never get enough. And I don't make him eat them...... Often at least />insert evil laugh here>/
16. Broccoli- My fav way to prepare it is oven roasted with salt and pepper and EVOO, if you haven't tried broccoli this way yet, you've got too! Its ahhhhmazing.
17. Organic Bananas- Always have some be it fresh or frozen, mostly for green smoothies, and they really are natures perfectly wrapped snacks!
18. Spinach- Mostly for green smoothies, or the occasional salad.
19- Apples and oranges - Not during the summer as I go seasonal but during the winter very essential to ensuring one doesn't get scurvy, and I always go Organic with the apples.
20. Pineapple- If I don't have fresh, then I have some stowed away in the freezer, for pizza and Thai style stir fry's.